On letting go.

06:25


Living your life you for sure see relationships come and go, and for sure I’ve seen my part of that. One thing, that was always the hardest for me, was letting it go.

I would stay in abusive relationships, burnt out friendships, places I didn’t want to be, just because I am oh so afraid of being on my own, and, let’s be honest, my own person.

Being disabled, independency is scary, cause you see so many things you just CAN’T do on your own – so how are you gonna survive? But here’s what I learned. We’re gonna talk friendships, cause my relationships were all too messy and way too abusive to be a good example on that topic, and they’re a thing for a completely separate post. Which will probably come soon, trust my exhibitionist tendencies.

No matter if you’re abled or not, staying in a friendship where something feels off is a bad idea. No matter if it’s them not respecting your pronouns, being lowkey racist or highkey homophobic, or if you just don’t click as you did before, you should do your both a favor and leave. Being disabled, and I’m speaking both physical disability and mental illness to just name few, you definitely shouldn’t stay in a friendship that burnt out. It’s exhausting, trying to save something beyond saving, and being low on spoons you want to avoid exhausting situations.

When I was 18, back in high school, my graduating year, I met a wonderful girl. If It ever came to her reading this post I want her to know she was completely, absolutely lovely, I loved her and I still do. We became best friends, and we would be inseparable. We could laugh and cry together and I knew she would hold me did I fall. We stayed this way three great years, along which I found my gender and sexuality to be completely different from where I started. She got better mental illness wise, I got worse physical health wise. She went to uni, I took a year off. She met new friends, I found whole online community which became like my second family. We started missing out on each other, not having time to meet, her being too busy, me being too tired. I could feel she didn’t understand me now, with my disability, with me wanting to only talk about how gay I was (you know this feeling just after you come out, don’t you?), and I didn’t understand her uni struggles at all.

We tried to save it for almost a year, before we finally decided to let go on amicable terms.

Do I miss her? Like hell. Does she miss me? I am pretty sure she does. But are we better off? Definitely.

Thanks to us letting go I was free to meet new people. I met my two new wonderful best friends who are my family. I got back in touch with my childhood friend. I am lighter now. Happier.

Though at 2am a little bit drunk she’s the one I want to text.

My point here is: being a spoonie, focus on your happiness and your strength. Don’t let burn out friendship hold you back. Let yourself be happy on your own. You deserve that and you don’t deserve to be exhausted trying to save friendship cause world throws slogans about how second chance is important at you. Sure, sometimes it is. But sometimes it’s not worth it.
Mourn them. Cry. Be sad. Sleep too much. Eat comfort food. Cuddle with pets, cuddle with family. Cry some more. Give yourself time. You’ll be so much happier.
And the most important thing: don’t let people tell you mourning friendship is less important than mourning a relationship. Your heart is still broken.

Trust someone, who thought is not gonna make it if she breaks off a friendship. You’ll be okay. You’ll feel so much better. 

And there’s always someone more worth your heart.


You Might Also Like

0 komentarze