Answering my favorite ques

05:19

When you’re visibly disabled suddenly your body becomes a public property. For me, it was a shocking stark contrast – from being spotted publicly mostly for my blue hair or colorful tattoos, earning smiles, mostly encouraging or gently amused, I switched to being uncomfortably stared at, to uncomfortable embarrassed half smiles in my direction, to surprised gasps sometimes when I stood up from my chair. Before, I was just a young adult navigating the crowd, now, I became an one person public performance.

My first week on a chair, I cried constantly. I was totally unprepared for what came at me – not only was I really sick, not knowing back then what was it I had, I was in lots of pain – and I became an aim of critique and comments, not EVER nice.

Third day on my chair I went to my psychiatrist, wanting her to adjust my meds as I was getting more anxious than ever, and to tell her update on my diagnosis, that back then was the fact I don’t have brain tumor. Which, unarguably was great news for 21 year old scared shitless she’s dying cause suddenly in a month her legs stopped working like they should. I was hoping to confide my fears in her, hoping that a medical professional can help me in my really hard place.

What I got was more critique. I was told I am worse by being on a wheelchair and I should do everything I can to walk and not be like “those people”. The thing was, I was already those people, I was a disabled person. Too bewildered to fight for respect, I just sat there, and that was when the question was asked. My now favorite question, the question that made the idea about this blog be born, the question that changed my approach to disability.

“But if you’re on a wheelchair then how are you gonna have sex?”

Because I didn’t answer then, I am gonna answer now.

When people ask me about my sex life, that is ableist as hell – because you wouldn’t ask abled person how they have sex, right? You wouldn’t doubt they CAN have sex. But you ask me, just because some parts of my body are working differently than yours.
When strangers, or friends, ask me that, my answers vary from straightforward “fuck you” to “why, are you interested?”, cause as we already stated I am an angry bitter person.

But to be serious for a while here.
Disabled people have sex just like any other people. We can be gay, straight, ace, trans, you name it we have it. I am a sex positive panromatic asexual. What does it mean? I do not feel sexual attraction to ANYONE, but sex is fun so I’m willing to have it, with EVERYONE.
I am open to one night stands and I am open to relationship sex. I am kinky as hell and I masturbate a lot. All that my illness changes is that I am in pain, and parts of my body are fragile. That is all. Everything works down there if you were wondering.
I’m telling my own story as I don’t have rights to anyone else’s, so hear me out: I am a very sexual person despite being disabled. And most of us are. Wheelchair people have LOTS of sex. If you are attracted to the person on a wheelchair GO FOR IT. Ask them about details, and they’ll tell you, and you’ll make it works. It’s that easy.

We are PEOPLE, guys. We’re not some ethereal beings unable and unwilling to have sex. We’re just people.

So, answering my favorite question. How am I gonna have sex? HOWEVER I FUCKING PLEASE.

What we need here is awareness. More open speaking about sex. Ending of slut shaming and ending of desexualization of disabled people. Because people WILL wonder how we do it until they are well informed. So we need to inform them. But it is in no means our responsibility to make them understand. They will or they won’t. But they need to KNOW.

This being said, if you’re low on spoons, tired, or just fucking pissed, the “go fuck yourself” answer is well suitable as well. You take care of yourself and your needs cause spoonie life is SO GODDAMN HARD, you don’t need to waste spoons on ableist if you don’t want to.

I will waste mine, cause I am mad and I want change. I want change for my future kids, for my sister who was shamed out of accepting her disablility, for my friends who suffer with me, for strangers who have shitty life. For me.


I hope it was informative enough. If you still have questions, hit me up or just google “disabled sex”. We live in wonderful world where google has an answer for everything, you know.

You Might Also Like

0 komentarze