On having to prove your worth.

03:45



A/N: to all lovely girls who read my blog and found me on tinder: helloooo! Now you know more than you bargained for about my sex life! I hope you still want to date me cause damn, this is awkward.


***

I can’t sleep lately, painsomnia being terrible cause I dislocated my knee (and arm and wrist and some fingers…) and it’s BAD. Like level 9 bad.

But being awake at 1am has good sides, like sudden strikes of productivity and creativity that always hit me at night. So here I am, bringing you my middle of the night thought. Tumblr would call it nightblogging I suppose? And blame Australians.

I was recently driving with my uncle I didn’t see for 7 years. Part of my family, dad’s side, is estranged, and he’s the part of that family, but situation being sudden, we suddenly reunited. It turns out his wife, and my dad’s sister, works with blind people. Now, let me just say that being a (hopefully) future interpreter, and losing hearing myself, I know a lot about d/Deaf and Deaf culture – but I don’t know hardly anything about blind. So sorry, and please call me out, if I say something insensitive or offensive.

We started talking about disability, and beside the fact apparently my uncle doesn’t consider me a disabled person (hey, nice! Take my wheelchair and my pain too, would you?) cause mobility issues doesn’t exist in his world, he turned out to be extremely ableist. “Did you know? They can almost behave like NORMAL people” level ableist. Yuck.

Being in pain literally all the time lately, no matter the amount of painkillers, my usual fierceness got a bit dulled, and instead of huge rant I just sat there trying to keep my face straight and nodded. People like to take my trained resting bitch face as an encouragement instead of sign of impeding killing spree, so he kept talking. And he said a thing that resonated with me so much, so awfully.

He told me about a girl who, being almost completely blind, did two PhDs and some additional studies while “abled people like us” (again, thanks for completely ignoring the fact I have severe mobility issues and use wheelchair daily??) are lazy fucks who wouldn’t do it.

And I just broke. Let me tell you why.

Being disabled, you suddenly, as we previously stated so many times, become public property. People feel entitled to tell you what you should do, how you  should be, how you should look, behave, BREATHE.

Let’s say we have two typical girls, average size, white, all in all “normal”, but one of them is on a wheelchair.

Abled girl with unshaved legs is a revolutionary feminist. Disabled girl? Doesn’t take care of herself, dirty, probably smells, disgusting, hit rock bottom.

Abled girl rocking a messy look with no makeup? Cute. Disabled girl? See above.

Abled girl dropping out of uni? Probably needed to go find a job, take care of family, just wasn’t for her. Disabled? FAILURE. WON’T EVER ACHIEVE ANYTHING.

Of course there are race, being fat, gender and sexuality adding additional layers here, but in general you see what I mean?

Being spoonies, we walk everyday having to prove our worth. We HAVE TO study, have to be successful, be pretty, pampered, in full makeup and pretty clothes. We can’t cut ourselves some slack. Cause we’re being constantly judged. We’re either too much or not enough. Too visible – too invisible. Too loud, outspoken, or too quiet. I’m being hated for being “too much” (advocate, colorful hair, LOUD, open about my sexuality, my autism, my mental illnesses, yelling at ableists, colorful wheelchair, you name it I have it) while simultaneously I hear I should try harder, be more, come back to school, fight through debilitating pain, PROVE MYSELF.

The issue here is, for a healthy person that would be too much to stand already, right? But add constant pain, fatigue, so many really scary health issues, disabilities being doubled (mobility + hearing loss, blind AND mentally ill etc.), constant struggle with lack of accessibility… I used to wonder why more disabled people don’t go outside. Now I know. We’re, as my best friend nicely put it, forced introverts. Cause society, let’s be honest, doesn’t like us.

I went to my university yesterday to talk about my return after the leave I took. Let’s ignore lack of support here, and total lack of accessibility (no disabled toilet?? Really??). I was told school can consider my request for accessible classes if they find me WORTHY ENOUGH. I have to prove my worth, prove I won’t drop out, they won’t lose their money.
See a problem here?

Being a spoonie, we have to prove our worth all the time. Or we’re using the air and shouldn’t exist at all. But what if I don’t want to be a famous spoonie? If I don’t want to be a wheelchair bound surgeon or lawyer? What if I want to be, say, a sex worker. I want to be a camgirl. Well, then, first, I’m a taboo (disabled cam girl??? Unheard of!), I’m problematic, I’m too open about my sexuality nobody wants to know about (but THEY ASK. See previous post.), and I am not worthy enough. Same if I want to be something less shocking, and “less glamorous” than a lawyer, like librarian, truck driver, or a barista (shoutout to my lovely spoonies in these jobs, you rock!). I either have to convince people I have a right to live, or I am not given this right.

And this is what we desperately need to change. Cause there ARE wheelie camstars, just as there are disabled prostitutes, like there are disabled librarians and truck drivers, like there are wheelies working in grocery stores or being cashiers at Tesco. And we’re all worthy. Hell, we could lift Thor’s hammer! 
And we’re glamorous. We’re glamorous when we can’t shave our legs because joint pain, when we have face hair or boob hair, or when we’re trans or intersex, Black, latinx (should I spell it with a capital letter? I’m sorry if it’s wrong!), Asian, ANYTHING AT ALL. We’re all worthy, having a college degree or being high school dropouts. Being independent or needing constant assistance. We’re all awesome. 

And ableists miss so much by not wanting to know us. And I feel sorry for them. Cause the most lovely people I met in my life were spoonies. Not abled, stuck up entitled assholes.

See, my fierceness is back, cause tramadol is gold. To sum it up: we need societal change, we need visibility projects and more education at schools and workplaces. We need to make abled people see more, see further, take their head from their asses.

But all in all, we need to stay awesome, and unlearn the compulsive need to prove ourselves. I am trying all the time. Cause maybe I am a failure, but I am an A++ awesome failure, having best friends in the world and badass hair. And, what’s most important – I have time, and I have nothing to prove to anyone, cause I am my own person.

(note: sorry for any mistakes, see: pain + tramadol)




You Might Also Like

0 komentarze